Valley Vets are very pleased to offer a caring service to all reptile owners.
- We offer both 1stopinion and referral services for reptile cases.
- If your reptile is under the care of another vet, you can ask them to organise a referral to us.
- Our reptile veterinary work is limited to our Cardiff Hospital where, Dr Tariq Abou-Zahr BVSc CertAVP(ZooMed) MRCVS, our avian and exotic vet, has a special interest and has undertaken further training/qualifications in the veterinary care of reptiles. Please contact us for further information.
- We see tortoises, lizards and snakes on a very regular basis. Most of these are pets, but we also work with clients involved in captive breeding.
- We very willing to discuss diet and husbandry requirements of pet reptiles with owners. We are also happy to advise on hibernation requirements for those species that hibernate.
- Our vets advise an annual health check for all pet reptiles.
- Valley Vets staff conduct reptile anaesthetics on a regular basis. When required, most reptiles are good candidates for anaesthesia and surgery, unless they are very unwell. Please discuss any worries with our staff.
- We always try to keep reptiles away from predators (dogs, cats and even other reptiles!) when they are admitted into the Hospital and firmly believe in effective pain relief for any invasive procedure.
- We have a separate, heated exotic ward with individual heated and illuminated reptile vivaria.
- Valley Vets Ltd encourages all clients to insure their pets to help cover veterinary treatment fees.
We are members of The Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians - an international professional organization of practitioners advancing and promoting reptile medicine, stewardship, and conservation through education of its members, the veterinary community and those they serve. For further information, please visit www.arav.org