You are here

Christmas, Chocolate and Dogs

With the countdown to Christmas upon us, we'll be posting useful tips on how to keep your beloved pets safe during the festive period.

Today’s topic is Chocolate.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and even the smallest amounts can be dangerous. Once consumed, the toxin in chocolate is absorbed quickly and can lead to your dog showing signs of poisoning within a few hours.

Symptoms to look out for are vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, irregular heartbeat, muscle twitching and frequent urination. If your dog consumes any chocolate, please contact us urgently. If you know the type of chocolate and the approximate amount eaten, this would be very helpful to us.

So remember to keep chocolate treats out of the reach of your pets and if giving chocolate as gifts, make sure they’re stored in a cupboard and not under the Christmas tree.