Dogs bring so much pleasure into a home, but there are many things to think about when considering a new canine family member; it can be quite overwhelming to know where to start.
As the weather gets colder and we start to see frosty mornings, please be aware of the dangers of antifreeze!
Antifreeze has a sweet taste that can be appealing to pets but if ingested can cause severe toxicity that causes the kidneys to shut down and death can quickly occur.
Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions and collapse.
So keep products well out of the way and if spilled, make sure it is washed away with lots of water.
If you suspect your pet may have had access to antifreeze, please contact us immediately.
Obesity is an ever increasing problem in many of our pets. Carrying additional weight can put extra stress on all parts of the body and eventually shorten your pet's life span. It can also make conditions such as arthritis worse and makes our pets more prone to diseases such as Diabetes.
Provided your pet is a good traveller taking him or her abroad can be relatively straight forward. However, it requires some forward planning. Conditions for travel to European Union countries vary from those to non- EU countries and specific information is available from respective governments.
A good place to start looking for information is www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad.
Things to consider before you travel:
Christmas plants can be harmful to our pets especially poinsettias.
Other plants that can cause problems to our pets are lillies, holly, mistletoe and even your Christmas tree.
If you have a real tree, it's a good idea to sweep up any needles that have fallen on the floor to prevent any accidents.
With the countdown to Christmas upon us, we'll be posting useful tips on how to keep your beloved pets safe during the festive period.
Today’s topic is Chocolate.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and even the smallest amounts can be dangerous. Once consumed, the toxin in chocolate is absorbed quickly and can lead to your dog showing signs of poisoning within a few hours.