National Campaign for the Risk of Lungworm in Dogs
April sees the launch of a National campaign to inform owners about the risk of lungworm in dogs.
This worm used to be isolated to small areas of Britain, including Swansea and Cornwall, however it is now being found throughout the UK. It is a very serious condition and if left untreated can be fatal.
Lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) is a worm which is transmitted to dogs by eating slugs, snails and frogs. There is also evidence to suggest it can be transmitted in the slimy trail they leave behind. So puddles, food bowls and even balls in the garden may pose a risk if they have been 'slimed' during the night. There are even cases of infected dogs who never knowingly eat slugs and snails but have accidentally eaten them.
Adult worms can be found in the heart and vessels of the lungs. There are many different symptoms including coughing, breathing problems, nose bleeds, excessive bleeding from minor wounds, fits, weight loss, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you notice any of these symtoms, or are worried your dog may be at risk, please contact us at the surgery. There is now a monthly spot on treatment which can be prescribed by your vet. It kills the worm and also treats your pet for fleas, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworms, mites and biting lice.